Thursday, July 24, 2008

Nothing gets better than this...

I have no pictures to look at, (a big shout out goes to my sweet husband for busting the camera on his hike a few weekends ago while "sliding" down some rocks...) but I do need to record (for my own sake mostly!) the few Max moments we've had the last few days. First of all, any of you that know Max - the real Max - know he's sweet, sassy, crazy, and witty...especially now that he's actually learned to use words more. Anyway, we have been (unenthusiastically) trying to talk potty training with him for months now. Somedays are better than others, but more often than not...we end up frustrated and give up hope that we might have two potty goers. A few days ago, Jackson yelled that he had to go "pee" - if you will - and Max was quick to also chime in that he also had to go. I must have told him over and over that he was wearing a diaper, and that he could go in that, but was continually rebuked by my two year old, demanding that he "Go pee in potty!! So, with what little hope I could muster that he actually might surprise me THIS time, I took off his diaper, plopped him on top of the potty, and told him to point his little thing into the toilet bowl. I watched as his tummy went in and out, and knew he was really trying to focus hard this time and actually go. Afer what seemed like a few minutes, he got frustrated, hit his (what do I call his little boy part?!) and declared, "Go little guy, I said go!!" And then looked up with nothing but serious apologetic eyes and said, "I sorry mom. He not want to go right now." All I can say is I about died, and wanted to capture that moment forever and wanted to share it with everyone. I know everyone's kids say the darndest things, but this one has got to be one of favs so far...

I also have to record that we went over a huge hump today, it was a memorable day for sure! At the beginning of this summer, Max was PETRIFIED of the water, so swimming has been extremely frustrating most of the time. Most of you know that in Vegas, we LIVE in the water all summer long, so this has been one challenge I have not enjoyed at all! I have one fish that won't get out of the water most of the time, and one fish that would barely step foot into the very shallow parts of the water.

Anyway, I have been dilligently working with Max a little bit each time we have gone swimming, and although each time gets a little less worse, we had not made HUGE progress until the last few days...

I have been able to take him out into the water, and swim with him on my hands without him screaming bloody murder at me, which has been a huge improvement, and each time, I would end with putting him under the water and letting him "swim" to me for a few seconds. But TODAY people was the DAY! We went to the pool, and he finally got it. I don't know what clicked, but I now have two fish that love the water, and he finally got the breath holding, and that he has control over when he wants to come up for air if I'm with him, or if he's in very shallow parts. I kept having him swim to me, and each time he came up for air, he immediately kicked off me, and said "Again mom, again!" I am so proud of him, and so was Jackson, he was so excited for his little brother, and it was a happy moment for us all. His eyes have been bright red all night because of all the chlorine, but he has not even complained. Yay for Max, we are so proud of him!!

10 comments:

Emily B said...

Oh my gosh! That is the cutest thing ever - "Sorry Mom. He not want to go right now." I guess boys thinking the male part is a little person starts early. I used to always tell Rebecca, "You have a diaper on," so that makes me laugh too.

Michelle and Andrew said...

love that story! thanks for the fun days at the pool this week.

Liz said...

Good job Max, keep swimming. Jackson, you now have a swimming buddy!! Hooray for Grammi's little guys. Love you all. Grammi

The Smith Family said...

That is so cute!! At least he tried, and YEA for having two swimmers!!! Colten still doesn't like going under water.

Sara B said...

That was hillarious! Max is so funny. So glad he is liking the water now! you guys will have to come over for a swim soon.

Hibbard Family said...

What a funny story, keep the potty training news coming! Congrats on the pool progress!

Skeeter said...

It was so nice meeting you. I am so excited to get to know more of the ladies in the ward. I love the potty training story! That is so great!

Lesa Hough said...

What is it with your boys? They have the funniest potty comments ever. I remember Jackson's "forgot to point the shooter down" comment in nursery.

Good laughs.

vickersfam said...

Yay Max! He's a true fish now. I'm not so kind in editing boy parts. I usually call it what it is, well maybe I wouldn't in my blog, though. How about his wee-wee?

The Hendrix Family said...

Denett....Hello from Texas. I had a comment from Ali Waldron on our blog and found you on hers....I hope all is well for you and your family. Such beautiful boys. Enjoy them while they are little. They will be 11 before you know it. Look forward to keeping in touch. On a side note...thanks for always being so kind to me.
Aimee Hendrix