Friday, June 20, 2008

WHAT IS GOING ON??


I know this may not seem like a big deal to many of you out there, but I'm starting to wonder if we have been cursed with something crazy...friends that have heard this already have said, "well, it's because you have boys..." or "what do you expect with two boys around?!" But I don't buy it! PLENTY of people have boys, my parents included, and I don't know of ANYONE else that has had to go to (think!) about three ER trips in one year due to HEAD injuries. So this is what happened yet again just two days ago...

I had taken dinner to a friend, who happens to be a nurse that is on bed rest due to early labor. Anyway, her phone rings, and she hands it to me and says "It's Russ." I answer it, and he tells me that he actually needs to talk to Brittany. This is our conversation... (me) "Why do you need to talk to Britt?" (Russ) "Um, because I need to ask her a question." (me) "What question do have to ask her that you can't ask me?!" (Russ) "I need to ask her if I need to take Max to the ER or not..." I won't finish writing what I said after that. You can imagine.

So there you have it. Russ and the boys were in the backyard, that is still in progress of being done, and Russ had set up a swing set that we had been given from a friend for the boys to play on. The swings are NOT steady, and I had already witnessed Jackson and his friend falling off of them, so I knew they weren't so safe for Max, but Russ did not. He had put Max on the swing, and Max had fallen off straight back, landed on a rock, which punctured a hole in the back of his head. It wasn't the prettiest sight, but after debating about it, taking him over to Brittany's for her to look at it, we decided not to attempt trip #3 to the ER, due to the fact that it really is a hole, and not a cut - that could be stitched up, like Jackson's both were. It does not however take any of the drama away from the "owie hurting" and the bleeding and the cleaning out, and the worry that it's infected, but we are hoping for the best.

Again, I ask you, what family has THREE head injuries in less than a year?! No one but the Walkers I suppose. Good thing Max is such a trooper, and hasn't lost his happy face at all...except when I clean his head, or take off band-aids that are seriously stuck in his hair!!

11 comments:

Kris Kanenwisher said...

Hey, bad things come in threes. Now you don't have to worry about it anymore ;)

Suz said...

Ooh, that sucks. I'm knocking on wood because as I was reading this I was thinking, "Geez, I have a Payton and I have yet to go to the ER with injuries." I know I am cursing myself as I type this....

Give Max hugs and kisses from us!

Liz said...

I kept saying I was gonna call Max all day. Poor little guy. It has been totaly crazy trying to get ready to go and helping the girls plan food. Give Max a big hug for me. I love you, Grammi

Christina said...

Poor little pumpkin! That is a gnarly hole in his little egg! :( Grass will be a softer landing! Soon....right??? When is the backyard going to be done?

Emily B said...

Denett, it's just because you have boys. No I'm just kidding. But honestly, I don't know what it is with boys. My son has has about four split lips, and my three-year-old daughter has never had a split lip in her life.

Hibbard Family said...

I agree that bad things come in 3's so you SHOULD be done.... for a while, right? You should try and get some of that medical super-glue and maybe start your own in house ER! Good luck!

THE PRINCE FAMILY said...

Poor Max!! He is such a trooper! Look at his adorabel smile in the picture. I'm sorry that happened. Head injuries are scarey. Hope all is well and we love and miss you. Give Max's head a kiss from us!

Lesa Hough said...

I know if I had another boy around to run wild with Jake, we would have the same problem. The issue would be me...not being able to deal with blood. Tell everyone hi from the Houghs!

Horner Family said...

So sad for Max! You do seem to have bad luck or your boys rather. I'm sorry sis! Time to have a girls so your boys will mellow out! :-) Love you! Give Max a hug and kiss from me!

Mindy Marchant said...

So sad for Max. Hope you let him pick out the band aids and of course a popsicle or ice cream flavor. That helps any owie around our house :-) It looks like you guys have been having a lot of fun. Give me a call. Washed my phone and don't have your number.......geez....

Anonymous said...

Hey Walker family-
I found your blog the other day and was excited to see that you have a beautiful family and things are going well for you. I know what you are going through with injuries boys receive. My son Hunter has had stitches twice in his lip within a year. I hope he feels better.

Tia Berry